If you’ve been following me for some time, you have heard this before.
In fact, I talk about protein more than I talk about any other macronutrient.
Because it can truly be the difference between achieving your goals and feeling completely stuck while still working out, eating “healthy” and doing all of the things.
Protein plays a significant role in our body, not just to build muscle but for actual balance and homeostasis in the body.
Here are a few ways that protein impacts you
- Stabilizes your blood sugar
- Slows down digestion ( full longer)
- Promotes muscle repair and growth
- Maintains Bone Health
- Support your immune system
- Reduce sugar & carb induced crashes
By consuming enough protein, your body has what it needs to do to help you build that strong, sexy muscle while also supporting other functions throughout your body, the critical ones you don’t physically see like your bone health, metabolism, blood sugar, and digestion.
Another thing to note, we do not store protein like we do carbs and fat.
Therefore, you must ensure you are taking in adequate amounts daily.
How much protein?
This will vary depending on your goals and your body type.
The basic guidelines are as follows
When it comes to deciding the right amount for you, the best questions to ask yourself…
- Are you trying to gain muscle?
- Do you dabble in multiple types of exercises? i.e. endurance, weightlifting, yoga, rock climbing, CrossFit, etc.
- Are you new to tracking macros or learning about the proper nutrients for you?
- How old are you?
- Is leaning out your goal?
The answers to these questions can help guide you to an adequate amount of protein for you.
Remember, protein is not stored, we need it daily, and it is a great way to stabilize blood sugars so eating protein will serve you if you are trying to lose weight, gain muscle, or do a little body composition re-shaping.
Favorite High Protein Ideas
- Protein Powder + 1/2 cup oats + 1/2 cup egg whites + Water & Blend (Protein pancakes)
- Protein powder + Nancys Oatmilk Yogurt + Favorite toppings
- Protein Powder + 1 tbsp Chia seeds + 1/2 cup milk (fridge for 16 + HRS)
- Ground turkey + Rice + Black Beans + Salsa + Roasted Peppers + Dollop Greek Yogurt and sprinkle of cheese
- Banza Pasta + Ground Turkey + Broccoli + Sauce of choice