This is a workout from the 8 week 10K & Half Marathon training program.
Mondays will be strength and speed-focused. The runs will bounce between track, threshold, and interval training.
we will need to test your one mile, this is a benchmark test, these are important to give you a general idea of progress throughout your training. If you don’t care much about progress per se and you just want to train, you can skip the one mile, we all know one mile is painful, and you can run 1-3 miles depending on your level, at an RPE of 6. Scale below.
Day 1 – Lower Body & One Mile Test Out
If you are new to lifting or not comfortable squatting the barbell yet, you can do all movements as bodyweight or use a dumbbell and go to an uncomfortable weight for you. See dumbbell squat here. .If you are still working on learning how to go into a full-depth squat, spend the first 15 minutes practicing the squat.
All percentages will be based on 90% 1 rep
A. Back Squat
- Work up to 90% 1 rep or 9 RPE
- Drop weight 70% – 75% based on the above number.
- 2 Sets X 6 explosive squats – focus on driving out of the bottom
- Drop weight 40% complete 3 sets X 5 Pause Squats, hold for 7 seconds at the bottom
B. Complete Each Movement for 3 sets before moving on to the next movement.
- 8 reps per leg Bulgarian Split Squat 5 – 35 lbs ( 7- 8 RPE)
- 12 -15 reps Dumbbell Romanian Deadlift ( 6-7 RPE)
C. 5 Rounds
- 8 Box Jumps (explosive) to a 20-inch box or lower if modifying
- 30 Second Plank
- 12 Double Dumbbell Thruster @25 lbs or less
One Mile Test Out
- Warm-up with 1/2 mile run around the track or easy half-mile run on flat dirt, road.
- Warm up with your personal stretches for 5 minutes.
- Run one mile as fast as you can (track, or flat road/dirt/gravel)
- Record time.
- Cool down with 1/2 mile run.
Alternative: Run 1-3 miles at 6 RPE.